Monday 8 August 2016

A Brief History of Mine (Intro)

I'm a guy from Moldova who's neither a fanatic of JDM, nor knows all the Mercedes line-up and specs, but does like the feel of a good car and the thrill it offers on a Sunday morning.

I purchased my Honda S2000 two years ago, which happens to have been 2014, and ever since, I believe it didn't get the treatment and flashlights it deserves. The story behind the purchase is a post on its own, but let's take it one by one.

So, the car this blog is about has been involved in a series of unfortunate events, not unlike a lot of other nice automobiles "with scars and character". Apparently, some three years after the very first purchase of this car (2006), with only about 18,000 miles on board, the owner, a dude in Kentucky, USA (or thereabout) managed to flood it and made it available for auctioned export. Now the history at this point is a little shady, but my belief is some folks from my country grabbed the offer, repaired the flood damage (pretty well actually), and sold it to another dude. All this must have taken another three years or so and right around the year 2009 this happened:

Deep damage to left door
Fired airbags, damage to right door and wing

Apparently the driver said he swerved from a dog, or a bunch of dogs. Might've been an elephant as well to me now. The damage occurred to both doors and, as I found out only much later, was significant.

Then came the darkest of times for this car: the Soroca repair. An under-qualified garage was commissioned to repair the roadster. To describe the work those guys did is a painful experience, but I'll attempt to summarize it: duct tape, plastic bags, tons of putty/plaster and a "good-enough" attitude:

Later the car was resold and, eventually, it got to my attention on a July morning of 2014. What happened next is nothing short of fucked up, but here it is, anyway: put the poor state of car geometry together with narrower-than-stock tires on the rear in the same pan with a guy's excitement of putting his hands on a powerful rear-wheel drive roadster and mash everything together with some very poor state of roads in Moldova and you get a... crash during vehicle test. Yes, I have put my own share of damage into my Honda, although not nearly as bad as it had already seen. I managed to destroy the front bumper, crook the bonnet and break a front wishbone.

I was faced with the prospect of paying for the damage, or getting the car. I did not pay for the damage.
Broken lower wishbone, bent stays and a stupid inner fender

No comments:

Post a Comment